Wednesday 22 October 2008

Respect your office colleagues

Respect for another person's job can only makes one's life easier. Working conditions often are hard enough and making an issue and not showing respect toward another person and the job they do just eats away at the harmony in a workplace. I would suggest there are three levels of respect in the workplace; Respect of those below the workers' job level, respect at the peer level of the workers', and respect above the workers' job level.

IT Jobs in BankingIT Jobs in the financial industry, specifically the banking sectorwww.eFinancialCareers.co.ukJobs In HrFind 10,000 New Positions per Month Search Jobs Paying Over £75Kwww.HrLadder.co.ukHedge Fund Trading JobsFind 10,000 New Positions per Month Search Jobs Paying Over £75Kwww.FinancialLadder.co.ukMany workplaces have division of labor practices and grumblings about other people's work performance can often be heard up and down the line. The lower the job level the lower the respect for the job and the person in that job title and consequently the higher the job level the higher the respect for that person in that job title. As an example custodians are often thought of as uneducated go no-where type of a person. I know, because I worked as a custodian while working my way through college and I listened to people talk about workers like me in the work place. Ironically, it was not my peers or upper management level that showed me the most disrespect it was people whose offices I cleaned. When these same people learned that I was working my way through college their attitude toward me and what I do showed an overt change. My work and who I was, was no longer beneath them.
The next level of respect, respect for other jobs at the peer level is often predicated upon job performance or lack of. In my line of work the most disrespected person is the person who bends, circumvents, or just out and out breaks the workplace rules. Persons in parallel job positions often compete with each other, sometimes openly but more often covertly, that is without the other person knowing. The disrespect often arises through the jealousy factor. One person will get wind of someone getting away with something. As the fellow worker(s) watch this person questions are asked, "Why does so and so get to get-away with such and such." The innuendo being that the person must not be doing his or her job. Such behaviors as talking on the cell phone, sending personal email, or unwanted emails, taking long lunch breaks and leaving work early all play into the assumption of poor job performance. The ambiguity in this is person who keeps abusing what most would call common courtesy for the establishment of work rules hardly sees such behavior as disrespectful.
The last level of respect may be defined as respect for administration rule in the workplace.

No comments: